How to Install XBMC [11.0 Eden] on Your Jailbroken Apple TV 2 [Guide]
In my previous post, I showed how to jailbreak your Apple TV 2 (2nd Generation). The primary reason why you would do want to do this is to install Xbox Media Media Center (XBMC). So what is XBMC? It’s a video player application that was originally created for the Microsoft Xbox. Since then, it was been ported to various platforms like the Apple TV and with a big community backing, it has been continuously updated with new features and third-party applications. The latest XBMC version, 11.0 Eden introduces a overhauled interface and installing it to your freshly jailbroken Apple TV is simply a breeze.
Want to find out more? The guide can be viewed after the break.
What you will need:
- Apple TV 2 (2nd Generation) jailbroken to 5.0.2. If you haven’t done this yet, be sure to see my guide here.
- Terminal application so you can connect to your Apple TV. I used PuTTY for Windows which you can get here.
XBMC Installation Guide:
- Start up PuTTY so you can enable SSH access to your Apple TV. You will first need to know the IP address of your Apple TV which can be found by going to ‘Settings’ and ‘Network Information’ from your device’s home screen. Copy the IP Address to PuTTY’s ‘Host Name’ field. Set the ‘Port’ to 22, and ‘Connection Type’ to SSH. You can save the profile if you wish to use it again in the future. In my example, I saved the profile as ‘Apple TV’. If you’re using a different terminal application or a Mac, you can just issue the following command:
- Click ‘Open’, which will bring up the terminal. When prompted to login, log as ‘root’ (no quotes) and password ‘alpine’ (again no quotes). You should now be logged into your Apple TV!
- Now copy and paste the following commands one at a time. This will download, extract, and install XBMC.
mkdir -p /Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
mkdir -p /Applications/XBMC.frappliance
dpkg -i org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-3_iphoneos-arm.deb
- Reboot your Apple TV. You should now have XBMC installed! To verify this, look for XBMC as one of the apps on your homescreen.
- Success! Now that XBMC is installed, you can install various XBMC add-ons giving you access to tons of other video sources such as:
- and much more!
Fortunately, there is a one-click solution to get the most popular ones installed which can be viewed in this post!
Update: XBMC has been updated to Frodo 12.0, however the Apple TV version is still in beta. Be sure to see my future posts for a how-to to install it!